Have you ever wanted to do something as a fan to make sure your favorite new show stays on the air? Now is your chance to make a difference by helping make sure Agent Carter’s premiere a big success. Early chatter from those who have seen it indicates Marvel has a great show on their hands but it is important people tune in to watch live on January 6th because ratings pay the bills.
Today we are launching “Operation iPad” a grass-roots fan campaign to educate the public about the Agent Carter premiere. The idea is for fans to help spread the word about the series premiere using store display products like iPads and tablets.
Agent Carter premieres on ABC on Tuesday January 6th with a 2 episode event beginning at 8pm (7 central). In following weeks episodes will air at 9pm (8 central).
Firstly, and I am sure this doesn’t really need to be said but just to be sure we are all on the same page, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT do anything illegal or irresponsible. Be very careful not to damage products and do not engage in any kind of hacking or other criminal behavior.
Many stores have items like iPads and other tablets on display that you can play around with in order to decide if you would like to buy one. They will usually allow you access to all the common functions including the ability to set an image as the desktop and lock screen background for the device and this is where we want you to take action.
Set one of the following images as the background on the device you’re “testing” in store. We’re adding instructions for iPad below and would appreciate your help to add instructions for other devices by posting in the comments below.
First, you will need to save the image, do this by holding your finger on the image for about 3 seconds until the options pop up, select Save Image.
- Save the Image. Once you have saved the image, go to the devices photos. It’s usually easiest to do this through the camera icon which you will likely find easily on the home screen.
- Get the Image Options. Look for the File button at the bottom of the screen (on iPad it is a square with an arrow pointing up).
- You’ll see options including copy, slideshow, Airplay… if you scroll across you will see more options including Use as Wallpaper, drag the image to center it if necessary then select “Set” then “Set Both”.
- You can also put a bookmark for the “About” page of this website to the home screen of the device, go to agentcarter.net/about and click the browser options icon that looks like a square with an arrow pointing up, select Add to Home Screen (You can also select Add Bookmark.
- Use your own phone to take a photo of your handiwork and tweet it to us at @AgentCarterNews
Other ways to help
In addition to Operation iPad, there are a number of other things you can do to help:
- Tell your friends and your family members, your co-workers, the person you ride next to on the bus about the show, how excited you are for it and that it starts Jan 6th on ABC.
- Use Social Media. Post on all your social media accounts. Follow both the official accounts and our accounts linked to this site and be sure you retweet/reblog/share messages about the show. Tell your followers how excited you are for the series to start on Tuesday Jan 6th.
- Host a One-Shot viewing party for the Agent Carter One-Shot. The Agent Carter One Shot is a 15 minute short film that you will find on the Iron Man 3 Blu Ray extras. The short is a good introduction to the idea behind the show though the timeline will vary in the series.
- Post about the show on any forums you visit, blog about the show on your own website etc
- Look for opportunities! You never know when an opportunity might arise that will allow you to get the word out. Here’s a couple of crazy ideas:
- Look for places you might be able to put up a poster (always best to ask permission).
- Put post it notes with “Agent Carter, Jan 6 on ABC” on a store shelf where Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. DVDs are
- Call into a talk back radio show asking what people are doing over the holidays and tell people you’ll be watching Agent Carter on Jan 6 or having an Agent Carter One Shot party in preparation for the show starting on Jan 6.
- If you are regularly in public using a laptop or iPad stick a note or print a poster to tape to the lid/back about the show
- Put a note in the rear window of your car (be careful not to break any laws regarding obstructing your view).
Above all, just share your excitement about the show. When someone sees another person excited about something it grabs their interest and makes them more inclined to want to know more and at the end of the day, that’s what we, as fans, need to be out there doing.
While we are confident Agent Carter will be a big hit, the truth is, the show has only a very short time to find an audience and everything we can do as fans to make that audience as big as it should be will help make sure the show has a long, healthy life! You might be inclined to think that none of these things will really make a difference, but as we all know, ratings are determined by a small number of Nielsen monitored households, just reaching one or two of those people can make a huge difference in ratings at the end of the day so yes, all these little things you can do really do have the potential to make a big difference.